Trip Planner help
Help is available in the following languages:
- دليل التخطيط للرحلات (Arabic)
- 规划程式指 南 (Simplified Chinese)
- 行程規劃程式指南 (Traditional Chinese)
- 경로 찾기 플래너 (Korean)
- Hướng dẫn hoạch định chuyến đi (Vietnamese)
Plan a trip
- Enter ‘From' and ‘To’ locations. ‘From’ location defaults to ‘My current location’, you can type over this - no need to delete. You can plan a trip using:
- an address, street name or suburb
- a train station, bus stop name, ferry wharf or light rail station
- a point of interest (e.g. Sydney Opera House)
- a stop number (e.g. 200064)
- When you click or tap on the 'From' or 'To' fields, previously used locations will be suggested. As you type, the list will filter to suggested matches. Select the closest match.
- Click ‘Go’ to see results for services that are leaving now.
Accessibility service information is provided with every trip plan.
If you have accessibility requirements and some of your trip plan results are not accessible, follow these steps to display accessible only trip plans:
- Click 'Options'
- Select the check box next to 'Accessible services only'
- Walk speed is set to normal, select slow or fast from the drop down list to change
- Choose 'Least walking' under trip preference
- Walking distance is set to 20 mins, select from the drop down list to change
- Select Taxi/Drive if you plan to drive or take a taxi to and from your first and last stops
- Click 'Done' in the top right hand corner
- Click 'Go' to see results for accessible services only.
There are a range of tools and resources for planning an accessible trip.
- To change the departure time, click on 'Leaving now'. Changing the date/time will automatically change this option to 'Leaving'. You can create a trip plan up to 14 days in advance.
- To see results that arrive before a particular time, select 'Arriving'.
Time is displayed in 24-hour format. You cannot select a date in the past.
You may need to allow your computer or mobile phone to use your current location in the Trip Planner. Click “Allow” on the pop-up window of the browser or tap “Allow” on the pop-up on your mobile device and enable location services. The message displays differently across browsers.
Transportnsw.info wants to use your computer’s location. Allow
Top of browser
Would you like to share your location with this site? Share Location
Overlay in top left corner, from the menu bar
Transportnsw.info wants to track your physical location. Options for this site > Always allow
Bottom of the browser, centred
- Right click anywhere on the map to set a ‘From’ or ‘To’ location.
- On a mobile device, click the map icon in the top right hand corner to see the map, then tap and hold anywhere on the map to set a From or To location.
- Alternatively, click on 'Map options' to turn on Stops or Points of Interest. You can then click (desktop) or tap (mobile) these icons to set as the ‘From’ or ‘To’ locations.
Customise your trip
Fastest trips are displayed by default – that is, the services that will arrive the closest to the 'Leaving' or 'Arriving' time. Click Options to change this to instead order results by ‘Fewest changes’ or ‘Least walking’.
Fewest changes will present trip options with the fewest number of changes to reach your destination, however the overall journey time may take longer than a trip with more changes.
Least walking will present trip options with minimal walking between stops or transfers where possible. By default the Trip Planner assumes most people will walk up to 20 minutes between transfers. You can adjust this under 'To and from transport'.
You can now choose to only get trip results for services that accept an Opal card by using the new 'Opal services only' feature in the Trip Planner.
When using the Trip Planner, select 'Options' to edit your trip preference and under ‘Opal services only’ select 'Exclude OpalPay, On Demand and booked services'. This will filter our travel options that do not accept Opal cards, such as the Manly Fast Ferry, or require booking, such as On Demand and NSW Trainlink services.
The Trip Planner will also estimate your Opal fare.
- Click 'Options' to edit your trip preferences and:
- choose which types of transport you want to use (by default Train, Bus, Ferry, Light rail and Coach are included and School buses are excluded). See School travel
- choose to travel only on services that accept an Opal card
- select 'Accessible services only' if you need wheelchair accessible services. See Accessible trips
- change your walk speed (normal = 4km/h, Fast = 6km/h, Slow = 2km/h)
- set whether you want to take the fastest route or the one with fewest changes or least walking involved. See Fastest, fewest changes or least walking
- set how long you are prepared to walk to or from your first and last stops.
- change from Walk to Taxi/Drive
- Click ‘Done’ then Click 'Go' for results
All of your trips are automatically saved for easy, one-click trip planning. To pin your favourites to the top of the list, click on the star at the bottom left of the Trip Planner form.
Click on 'Clear' on the bottom right corner of the form to clear results and display your previous and favourite trips.
You can reorder your favourite trips by dragging them around. To do this either click and hold (on a computer) or tap and hold (on a mobile) and drag the trip up or down the list.
Tip: Set up a trip from ‘My current location’ to your home address or stop. This is our ‘take me home now’ option. The Trip Planner will use your current location every time it's used.
- 'Map options' allows you to select 'Stops', 'Opal retailers' and 'Points of interest'. On selection, the map will zoom in to the centre of the map, to show the relevant icons for 'Stops', 'Opal retailers' or 'Points of Interest'. Icons are only visible when the map is zoomed in. Click any icon for more details or to plan your trip to or from any stop or point of interest.
- You can:
|or centre the map on your current location|
Trip Planner results
Several trip options are displayed on individual ‘summary cards’ which contain trip information, relevant trip alerts and fare information.
- The time on the left tells you how long until you need to leave. This time will continue to count down to ‘Leave Now’. Once the departure time is in the past, it will display ‘left x min ago’.
- If the first leg is a transport leg (train, bus, ferry, light rail, On Demand or coach), this is the time until the service departs, or for On Demand services an indicative time.
- If the first leg is walking / driving, this is the time until you have to leave to start walking / driving.
- Icons indicate the transport modes that make up the trip (e.g. train, bus, ferry, light rail, On Demand, coach, walk, drive).
- Route numbers indicate the transport service.
- Walk legs show the walk time, for example: 10 is 10 minutes.
- Taxi/drive shows the distance in kilometres.
- The departure and arrival time and duration of the whole trip is indicated.
- If a service requires a booking, the ‘booking required’ badge will display.
- Opal fares are calculated for each option:
- If all services are Opal enabled, the full fare is displayed.
- If one or more service is Opal enabled plus one or more service where Opal cannot be used, a partial fare is shown, indicated with + Other fares may apply. i.e., Only the Opal portion of the fare is calculated.
- If no services accept the Opal card, ‘Opal not available’ is shown.
- The adult fare is displayed by default. You can click on the fare to change the Opal card type and see other Opal card types and fares, as well as read more about how Opal fares are calculated and displayed.
See key to icons for more information.
Click on any 'summary card’ to see the detailed itinerary of each trip option. The expanded card gives detailed instructions for the entire trip, including:
- Departure and arrival stops, station or wharf, colour-coded by mode. For On Demand services the departure and arrival stops are indicative only and the trip must be booked with the operator to confirm actual locations.
- Where real-time is available for a leg of the trip, the real-time badge will indicate if the service is on time, running early or late.
- Route/line details and direction.
- A wheelchair accessible icon if the service is accessible.
- Any relevant alerts or disruptions
- Opal fares at each tap off point.
- A 'Share’ link to allow you to share your trip plan option.
- On small screens, such as a smartphone, each trip plan option displays a map option in the summary card, to let you view the trip on the map. The map will zoom to the start of the trip and you can zoom and pan to view your entire trip.
- On large screens, such as a laptop or desktop computer, the first trip option is always displayed on the map. Click any other ‘card’ to view that trip on the map.
- Clicking on the walk/drive directions or 'View stops' will zoom to the relevant section of the map.
To access all the features of the Trip Planner, and the transportnsw.info website, we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Internet Explorer 10 and above. If you are using an older browser, some features may not work.
The transportnsw.info website is responsive which means no matter what device you are on – mobile, tablet or desktop – the Trip Planner is flexible to work on your screen.